According to the heading of this blog, the purpose of its creation is to "highlight [the] wonderful characteristics, loving acts of kindness, example of faith and wisdom, and above all......the quirky things [Lena and Linda] do that make us laugh!" I was immediately inspired to write about Mom's dedicated kindness and service basically every morning of my life. It's called breakfast.... or shall I say "breafkast".
For any of our unfamiliar readers- if you listen closely to my mother's pronunciation of "breakfast", you will find that she actually demonstrates a singular instance of dyslexia and switches the "k" and "f" sounds in the word. To be honest, I don't think I myself ever actually noticed the oddity until it was pointed out to me by my ore observant cousins.
But whether you pronounce it breakfast, breafkast, makan pagi, desayuno, micul dejun, فطور or anything else, one thing is for sure: my mom makes some awesome breafkast meals. Even if you (the reader) can get by in the morning with just a piece of toast, or a glass of milk, or nothing at all- you would either have to (1) be crazy, (2) have burned off all of your taste buds recently by drinking hot chocolate before it cools down, or (3) not have a tongue at all (maybe it was chopped off for lying or you bit it off in a boxing match?) in order to not like my mom's cooking. French toast is one dish that I may consider one of her breafkast masterpieces (especially when combined with peanut butter and syrup). But her breafkast skills are not limited to just that- pancakes, waffles, egg burritos, bacon, egg sandwiches, quiche, omelet, sausage, hash browns, potato cubes, .... and the list goes on! Which list reminds me- I haven't had her orange julius in a number of years! So Mom, be prepared to dust off that old skill of yours for next time we're together!
In addition to her spectacular breafkast making skills- Mom is also a champion when it comes to consistancy. I have recently learned that many mothers don't make their children breafkast ever (or sometimes any other meal for that matter). My amazing mother however, would make at least something- as simple as a bowl of oatmeal or cream cheese bagel to a superior version of the Denny's Grand Slam Breakfast Meal- basically every day of my life at home. It didn't matter whether I slept in til 10 or 11 after a long Friday night with friends, woke up at 5:30 for seminary, or even earlier for a special scouting camp trip or other activity- we had something to fill our bellies til lunch time.
So, while we may chuckle and get a kick out of Mom's unique pronunciation of breafkast... we will never forget the thousands of meals she has so generously provided to her husband and children over the past decades and the many more still to come. Perhaps we, in honor of the master provider of that great morning meal, should follow her example and call it breafkast as well.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I love your mom's breafkast too! She makes good pancakes.
ReplyDeleteHERE HERE!!!! TO A MOTHER'S BREAFKAST!!!!!
ReplyDelete