Tuesday, November 24, 2009
Mind the Gap
One of the necessary skills that I learned within my home was to 'mind the gap'. Most people will probably associate the phrase with London subways. While standing on the platform, the repetitive reminder to not get stuck in the hole between the platform and the train is constantly ringing in your ears. Obviously, in my home we don't have a train cruising through, but there certainly is a gap to be minded: a gap between the spoken word and the completed action. Before you jump to harsh conclusions thinking that my mother never goes through with her word, let me illustrate through story the harmless, loving quirk that she lovingly shares with those who mean the most to her. I was working alongside my mother in the kitchen performing a list of tasks that had been given to me. I turned to her for her approval on a mixing job that I had completed. She took one look at it and responded "yeah that looks good." As she finished off her sentence, she simultaneously picked up the spoon and continued stirring! Oh Lena! It seems like her mind is like the London subway. She says to herself that she will get on the next train but in reality she remains planted on the platform as the train takes its departure. Carrying into the darkness those who bridged the gap but didn't mind her gap.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
This is a nice idea. Keep them coming.
ReplyDelete