
So I have this theory about my mom which I have to consciously surpress to not have it expressed in myself. It goes something like this. Mom is so afraid of missing any kind of 'fun' that she would rather stay around people asleep (usually in a not so comfortable position) rather than retire to the comfort of her own bed. To demonstrate I have the following examples:
Example 1: Sunday mornings=Video chat with the family (mostly just mom and dad since Cory is too dang busy for his older sister!)
Most recent experience talking to mom and dad goes something as follows:
Me: Mom, are you sitting with your head out of the screen so that you can fall asleep?
Mom: No I'm not (as she scoots into the frame).
Conversation continues with reduced input from mom. Me and dad are talking about something of extreme importance probably.
Me: Mom are you asleep?
Silence
Me: She's a gonner!
Mom: I'm awake. I heard everything you said. You are talking about (fill in with one word that we mentioned 3 minutes previous).
Okay mom! =)
Example 2: Several Years ago back when we would read books together as a family:
Mom is reading aloud and all of a sudden cuts out mid-sentence. I'll never understand how one falls asleep mid-sentence while reading aloud but from what I have heard, it is a common phenomenon that occurs at night with my Aunt Linda as well!
I'm sure that all of us has had an experience that has been cut short due to the falling asleep of one member of the conversation so feel free to share with the rest of us. I find myself trying to convince myself that I really would rather fall asleep comfortably over falling asleep in the company of people I love spending time with. Either way you seem to miss the action! In the later I guess you add to everyone else's action so for that mom, I thank you!
Example 1: Sunday mornings=Video chat with the family (mostly just mom and dad since Cory is too dang busy for his older sister!)
Most recent experience talking to mom and dad goes something as follows:
Me: Mom, are you sitting with your head out of the screen so that you can fall asleep?
Mom: No I'm not (as she scoots into the frame).
Conversation continues with reduced input from mom. Me and dad are talking about something of extreme importance probably.
Me: Mom are you asleep?
Silence
Me: She's a gonner!
Mom: I'm awake. I heard everything you said. You are talking about (fill in with one word that we mentioned 3 minutes previous).
Okay mom! =)
Example 2: Several Years ago back when we would read books together as a family:
Mom is reading aloud and all of a sudden cuts out mid-sentence. I'll never understand how one falls asleep mid-sentence while reading aloud but from what I have heard, it is a common phenomenon that occurs at night with my Aunt Linda as well!
I'm sure that all of us has had an experience that has been cut short due to the falling asleep of one member of the conversation so feel free to share with the rest of us. I find myself trying to convince myself that I really would rather fall asleep comfortably over falling asleep in the company of people I love spending time with. Either way you seem to miss the action! In the later I guess you add to everyone else's action so for that mom, I thank you!
Wonderful!!! So true!!!! I remember when we were in Spain and she fell asleep sitting on the back of the coach...leaned against the wall....she looked so uncomfortable. Not to mention the hundreds of movies she's fallen asleep in.... WE LOVE YOU MOM!
ReplyDeleteI think that my reading voice has hypnotic qualities for Lena. She recognizes the situation and we often joke that if she is having trouble sleeping, I can read to her. We read out loud together and she often has to go back and re-read the last chapter or two to catch up. The latest was two nights ago reading Romeo and Juliet (Cory's play).
ReplyDelete